Managing Director of We Are Social in Australia, Suzie Shaw, joins the podcast this week to talk social agencies. We discuss:
- Suzie’s career to date and the history of We Are Social.
- Typical activities within We Are Social across clients like Netflix and Samsung.
- The differences between traditional marketing agencies and a social media focused agency.
- The rapid pace of life in a social agency.
- The importance of having your finger on the pulse of popular culture and what will work well in social.
- The level of collaboration within We Are Social across creative, strategy, production, insights, editorial and account management.
- Using social data for consumer insights and market research.
- How We Are Social works with other agencies.
- Social getting a seat at the table early in a campaign or brand strategic planning piece.
- Social listening to understand unanticipated needs and what your consumers care about.
- The longer-term trends around generalist vs specialist agencies.
- How the country agencies within We Are Social collaborate globally on best practice and key trends across their 700 person workforce.
- Whether We Are Social work post-acquisition on retention activities as well as top of the funnel brand awareness.
- Why Suzie feels social is becoming more like a traditional advertising channel but still has some inherent advantages in building in a value exchange with consumers.
- Organic reach v pay to play activities as well as dark posts.
- How great social customer service can drive amplified engagement related to this.
- Suzie’s views on the paid advertising products offered by Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
- Some recent work We Are Social have done with Samsung.
- How Influencer activities today varies from traditional PR projects of the past.
- The importance of working with authentic lovers of a product in Influencer marketing to avoid brand damage.
- Assessing the ROI of social.
Suzie is one of the leading thinkers in the social media agency sector. Great to get her insights on a range of topics here – well worth a listen!
The We Are Social website in Australia is here.
The business book Suzie recommends is Lean In by Sheryl Sandberg.