Head of Digital Strategy & Transformation at the Met Office in the UK, Simon Swan, joins the podcast to talk digital transformation. We discuss:
- Simon’s career to date
- How digital has impacted broader business and the workforce over the past 20 years
- How digital disruption has impacted how people operate within organisations through reskilling and reinvention
- The over-focus on tech and getting the culture right first, before the shiny tactics.
- Why the digital vs nondigital debate is irrelevant and only the customer’s voice matters
- Simon’s work at the Met Office
- How the Met Office acts as a commercial organisation while being a Government office and has achieved reach and revenue through their digital transformation, despite the entry of Google and other competitors.
- Why Met Office used social listening for a full year before entering the conversation
- The growing consumer trend for weather information
- How the Met Office utilises other departments to understand audiences and develop content
- How content marketing drives acquisition channels, through positioning the brand in the right way to engage audiences
- The importance of executive trust, support and understanding in making fundamental changes in an organisation, through a bottom-up approach
Fascinating conversation is had from a genuine and knowledgeable expert in digital transformation and marketing. Well worth a listen!
For more on the Met Office, click here.
Click here for Simon’s chat on the You Are The Media podcast and here for the article on the Met Office’s digital transformation journey.
Simon recommends reading Linchpin by Seth Godin.