Writer at chiefmartec.com, and author of the well known martech landscape infographic, Scott Brinker joins the EchoJunction podcast this week. We discuss:
- Scott’s career to date
- His annual infographic summarising the martech landscape
- The significant growth in the 2017 landscape to over 5,000 marketing tools and the factors driving this growth
- Which sub sections of the landscape grew in 2017
- Why consolidation is not yet happening and when will it come
- The larger marketing platforms and whether clients will gravitate to a single provider where possible
- Marketers feeling overwhelmed by the size and complexity of the landscape
- The challenge of change management for marketing teams as technology grows at an exponential rate
- The importance of ‘strategy first’ before technology selection
- The intersection of people, process and technology in executing a strategy
- Marketing teams focussing on getting the basics right before rushing off to the latest “next big thing”
- The continuing collision between the roles of the CMO and CIO
- Whether marketers are now spending more on technology than the IT teams
- Key trends within the social media technology sector
- The impact of growing marketing interest in video as a medium across the martech landscape
- The attitude of private equity and venture capital towards the marketing technology sector
- Key trends in marketing technology
There is no one better on the planet to discuss the complex marketing technology landscape. Scott is a true thought leader in this space, well worth a listen.
Scott can be found on Twitter here and he blogs at http://chiefmartec.com/.
My previous podcast with Scott on the martech landscape in 2015 and his book Hacking Marketing.
Scott’s blog post on the 2017 landscape.
My blog post on Scott’s landscape.