Head of Digital Strategy & Innovation at News Corp, Alice Almeida, joins the podcast this week to talk digital. We discuss:
- Alice’s career to date
- Taking it back to the basics: how to use data
- How data insights can help the marketing function
- Pre-digital analytics: Nielsen and notebooks
- The problems with segmentation by demographic
- Why 55+ is the segment to target over millennials
- Why data collection is the reason for social media’s success
- Facebook, Cambridge Analytica, and why there won’t be a significant fallout from the scandal
- Alice’s role at News Corp.
- Being in a digital role in a traditional media workplace
- Why revenue is declining due to perception, not performance
- Why the Facebook News Feed algorithm change hasn’t affected news publisher content performance
- How the open relationship between publishers and consumers has made paywalls successful
Fantastic conversation is had, from a very knowledgeable guest at Australia’s largest media corporation. Well worth a listen!
Alice recommends reading Lean In by Sheryl Sandberg.