By Adam Fraser
A recent piece of research from Edison Research highlighted some interesting insights around the podcast market.
The 2016 Podcast Advertising Study is the latest piece in a series of research Edison have performed on the podcast sector. The trend in their reports shows a notable increase in interest from US consumers in podcasting.
There is a lot of information in the report, but the 5 stats which caught my eye were:
- For the first time a majority of Americans have heard of podcasting – 55% are now “aware of the term” versus 49% a year ago
- One in five Americans now listen to a podcast monthly (21%)
- Mobile is a key medium for podcasting – 71% now listen to podcasts on a mobile device versus only 42% 3 years ago
- Podcast listeners are more likely to follow brands on social media – 47% of podcast listeners do, versus 28% of general US consumers
- Podcast advertising influences brand preference – 65% of podcast listeners are more willing to consider products and services after they learn about them on podcasts.
Whilst the US often leads the globe in trends of this nature I would expect the broad pattern of increasing podcast adoption (albeit likely off a lower base) to be replicated in the Australian market.