By Adam Fraser
I have been a passionate podcast consumer for many years now and I have previously blogged about why I am so bullish on podcasting, 5 top digital marketing podcasts and my own insights as a new podcaster after my first 10 episodes.
So you can imagine how much I enjoyed spending 45 minutes plus talking about podcasting with a fellow podcast obsessive! In this week’s podcast I had a great conversation with Jerod Morris, who is part of the Copyblogger group, and personally hosts 5 podcasts.
A great resource to refer to for some fantastic data on the podcast market (which we discuss in the podcast) is “The Podcast Consumer 2015” from Edison Research. If you want to dive deep into understanding the podcast consumer, this is the report for you.
In the podcast, Jerod I discuss:
- How Jerod stumbled across the online world, Copyblogger and ultimately podcasting
- The history of podcasting and why it initially didn’t grow in the early years
- Why connection is such an important aspect of the podcasting medium
- Why podcasting has grown so rapidly recently and the importance of mobile growth in this
- The latest stats on the size of the podcast market and the interesting demographic characteristics of podcast listeners
- The deeper emotional connection listeners feel when they listen to a regular podcast
- Why the podcast ‘Serial’ proved to be the tipping point for podcast consumption to a more mainstream audience
- Apple and iTunes’ dominance of the podcast sector
- The potential benefits for brands and enterprises thinking about launching a podcast and factors to consider before launching a podcast
- Reasons why many podcasts fail
- Why podcasting isn’t for everyone and who should launch a podcast?
- The importance of consistency in launching a podcast to build a long term connection with an audience
- How niche you should go with the content topic for a podcast
- Types of format to consider in producing a podcast and how long a podcast should be
- Once launched, how frequently podcasts should be produced
- The impact on the radio sector to date and how the growth in podcasting will impact the radio sector going forward
- Potential growth for the podcast sector over the next 5 years
- Jerod’s recently launched podcast and course “The Showrunner” which is entirely devoted to podcasting
If you want to learn more about this space, I highly recommend you listen to the whole podcast.