It’s safe to say livestreaming has taken the digital world by storm, connecting users globally to everything from sporting events and breaking news, to users streaming their walk home from work. Meerkat was the first mainstream application to enter the space, by harnessing the power of ‘live’, and has grown to nearly 2 million users today.
The next to join the scene was Periscope who claim to be fascinated by the idea of discovering the world through someone else’s eyes, a vision clearly shared by the 1 million users they gained within just 10 days of release.
Here at EchoJunction, we wanted to find out more about this fast growing media from someone that uses both apps personally and for his client base. So we invited the man that talks fast and tweets faster (we can certainly vouch for his fast talking) Brian Fanzo onto the EchoJunction podcast to talk Meerkat and Periscope.
Brian is a very knowledgeable, high energy and entertaining speaker who refers to his career as the “YouTube university”.
These are some of the topics that we covered with him as we talked Meerkat and Periscope;
- What are the key differences between Meerkat and Periscope?
- What are key differences with previous live streaming applications?
- Why are conversation and community aspects are so key to the power of Meerkat and Periscope?
- What are the authenticity and relationship aspects of Meerkat and Periscope?
- Why did Brian dive so deeply into these apps when they launched?
- What are the potential enterprise business use cases for Meerkat and Periscope?
- We explored Brian’s view that if businesses “think like a fan” they will find numerous potential uses for live streaming, looking at examples across the USA and Australia.
- Is live streaming a means for businesses to provide better customer service?
- What are the benefits for enterprises getting live real time feedback on a product launch?
- How does live streaming on Meerkat and Periscope can fit into a broader social media strategy?
- Can you generate private broadcasts within Meerkat and Periscope?
- Does Brian like one better? Meerkat or Periscope?
- We learned some great tips for using Meerkat and Periscope.
- Key copyright issues related to Meerkat and Pericope and how media rights holders should respond.
- We looked at a great example of how ESPN are using Periscope during the ad breaks.
The key piece of advice from Brian for those looking to delve into the livestreaming space “a perfect live stream sucks”.