Co-founder at Zoetic Agency and experienced PR leader, Trevor Young, joins the podcast to talk brands and purpose. We discuss:
- Trevor’s career to date
- His recent career change in co-founding Zoetic
- Brands developing purpose driven marketing and standing for more than wanting to make money
- Millennials expecting more brands and the Edelman Brandshare survey 2014
- As consumers, we say we want more from brands but do we? Apple is the world’s biggest brand but has a poor working conditions record, for example
- PR and marketing – who should drive CSR and purpose driven messaging
- The recent Pepsi ad and why this failed so badly
- The recent Heineken ad and why this was perceived better
- Differences between the approaches taken by Pepsi and Heineken
- Brands taking a long-term view, being authentic and not just diving in and out of topics in the current zeitgeist
- Mark Ritson’s recent article about why brands should focus on making money not higher purpose
- Staying in your lane – brand talking about areas relevant to their business vs straying into topics nothing to do with their business
A very interesting topic with no black and white answers. Great perspectives from a well respected, experienced PR practitioner – well worth a listen.
The Zoetic website is here.
My previous podcast with Trevor on paid, owned and earned media.
The Mark Ritson article on brands and purpose.