Author, speaker and Head of Innovation for New York-based Zenith Media, Tom Goodwin, joins the podcast this week to talk about innovation, disruption and his new book, Digital Darwinism. We discuss:
- Tom’s career to date
- Tom’s new book “Digital Darwinism”
- The premise of Tom’s new book and why he felt like he needed to write about digital and innovation/disruption in 2018
- The tendency and reasons for applying new technology to preexisting infrastructure for improvement, rather than replacement
- The danger of being simplistic about change in the digital age
- The pace of change and how it differs depending on a company’s sector
- The issue of change management: how a lack of imagination and preservation of self-interest prevents innovation and leads to the collapse of previously established brands
- The unfair advantage new modern brands have over old businesses
- Why intuition is key for moving to new technologies or waiting for them to evolve
Tom is at his enigmatic best, delivering a truly thought-provoking and insightful conversation. Definitely worth a listen!
Tom recommends reading Reimagine! by Tom Peters.