Founder and CEO of Contexti, Sid Minassian is back on the podcast this week. We discuss:
- What is big data?
- At what point do “large databases” become “big data”?
- It all begins with data strategy – what does this look like?
- We have moved from the theory 2 years ago to starting to see some great big data commercial application now – Channel 7’s great success re Olympics and Australian Open
- How big data assisted Channel 7 in generating the relevant insights
- Big data and commercial challenges in these types of projects
- When marketers are bringing in large volumes of data (newsletters, social, web analytics, advertising, customer spend, macro-economic, weather etc), the skill sets required to analyse and develop correlations/causations/business insights
- Effective big data executions – importance of the data architecture and the skill of the analyst
- Are we finally getting to “right message at the right time to the right person”?
- Who owns data strategy in a large enterprise and whether marketers have a seat at the strategy table
- Where the typical Australian enterprise is at in terms of big data strategy
- The big data the major social networks are sitting on – in particular Facebook
- The importance of the algorithms which power what people see in their social media feeds
- The longer-term implications of algorithms driving social network content
A fascinating discussion with a true subject matter expert. Well worth a listen for marketers, analysts and IT professionals alike.