Global authority on all things Martech Scott Brinker joins the podcast this week to talk his new book Hacking Marketing.
- Scott’s back story as a leading blogger on marketing technology
- Scott’s infographic he prepares each year on the marketing technology sector and when the 2016 infographic will be released
- Scott’s new book “Hacking Marketing” – the premise of the book and what led Scott to want to write a book
- Why marketers are “entangled in digital dynamics”
- Scott’s quote about marketing in 2016: “It can feel like you’re driving at high speed with a broken steering wheel and failed brakes. At night. With no headlights”
- While the term “hacking” can have somewhat negative overtones, why Scott used the term in this book
- Facebook and their ‘hacker mentality’
- The end of ‘digital marketing’ and why we are now ‘marketing in a digital world’ – why is this an important distinction
- The influence “The Lean StartUp” by Eric Rees had on Scott’s book
- What Scott means by “software is modern marketing’s middleman”
- Marketers as software creators
- What is “Agile marketing”?
- Can you be agile and still professional and high quality in your marketing?
- The benefit of making a larger number of small bets rather than a small number of large bets in marketing
- In such a dynamic environment, the options for innovation in modern day marketing
- How marketers can tame digital complexity and make this environment more sane and manageable
- What does this all mean from an HR perspective – what does the marketing team of the future look like?
Scott blogs at ChiefMartec and details of his new book can be found there.
Here is my first podcast interview with Scott on the marketing technology sector.
Scott would follow Mark Andreesen on Twitter.