Word-of-mouth marketer extraordinaire, Saul Colt, joins the EchoJunction podcast to discuss brand strategy. We discuss:
- Saul’s career to date
- Why siloing digital marketing was a mistake
- Marketers focusing on tactics absent a strategy
- Saul’s opening question to potential clients – “who are your customers” – and how many brands still don’t understand their customers enough
- The Top 5 global brands in 2017 versus 10 years ago
- How Microsoft, Apple, Amazon, Google and Facebook all used different strategies and tactics to build their brands
- The approach typically taken by global brands versus niche brands
- The network and word of mouth effect more easily tapped into by digital/software products
- Why one size does not fit all in terms of brand development
- The overarching importance of knowing your customers
- The continuing fragmentation in the media landscape
- The implications of Disney bypassing Netflix to go directly to consumers
Some fantastic strategic insights from a leading analyst in the global market – well worth a listen.
My first podcast with Saul on word of mouth marketing.
The Top 100 Brand Survey from Millward Brown.
My recent podcast with Bob Knorpp on the fallacy of digital marketing.