Leading UK thought leader and social media consultant, Richard Stacy, returns to the podcast to talk data and privacy. We discuss:
- Richard’s career to date
- What the GDPR is and the implications it has for individuals and organisations
- The right to withdraw: the fundemental problems with the GDPR’s approach
- Why was Facebook the tipping point for the data privacy boilover
- Zuckerberg’s Congressional hearing and why we shouldn’t be surprised about politicians lack of data knowledge
- The Sea of Anonymity: why being anonymous doesn’t protect you from algorithms and data fishers
- The Stasi Problem: why applying small data regulations isn’t the answer to fixing the current Big Data and algorthim problems
- Understanding what algorithms are, how they work and the difference between Small and Big Data
- Correlation EQUALS causation: the true reason as to why algorithms are dangerous, through their tendency to bypass the need to establish the why, before understanding the what
- Orwell X Cruise: why Richard believes we’re living in a datafied society that could impose a data class sytem
- Why Richard believes transparency of algorithms is key to minimising the dangers they can cause
Great to have Richard back to provide his deep insight into the world of data analytics and algorithms. Defintely not an episode to miss and certainly one to think about!
Richard’s post on defining the privacy problem.