Founder at Electric Agency in Perth, Australia, Nick Eggleton joins the podcast to talk marketing execution in a digital world. We discuss:
- Nick’s career to date and how we went from a plan to be an architect to a career in marketing
- Nick’s experience in copywriting, strategic planning, media buying and account management across major brands in the UK
- Why Electric Agency takes a media neutral approach to its marketing
- The importance of attention and brand awareness as a start point for any marketing activity
- Nick’s approach of test and learn before spending big
- Why clients present briefs which jump straight to tactics before the necessary strategic planning has taken place
- The recent statement from the Adidas CEO about wanting to go “digital only”
- An integrated marketing approach – how traditional media dovetails with social/digital activity
- Examples of Nick’s approach working with brands like Slazenger and McCain
- The trend of reintegrating media with creative
- Nick’s early adoption of Facebook and Twitter in 2007
- The difficulty of defining “what is TV” as we stream YouTube on our large screens, stream Netflix on an iPad, watch catch up free to air TV on a phone
- How audio content is now no longer trapped in a “radio” and can be streamed on many devices
- The challenges of programmatic and why Nick felt it was inevitable to fail – “if you buy cheap you buy twice”
- Why digital marketers seem to focus more on short term calls to action and less on long term brand building
- Lazy marketing which is short term focused and doesn’t provide long term value
- How Nick would approach the challenge of building a brand for a new product in 2017
- A book Nick recommends from the 1990s which contains immutable rules of marketing
- Why Nick loves Facebook ads from a macro and micro reach perspective
- Nick’s thoughts on the paid products from Twitter and Instagram
Some great insights from an agency founder on life in the marketing trenches in 2017 – well worth a listen!
The Electric Agency website is here.
My previous podcast with Kane Curran of Fourteen Digital.