Well known futurist, Mark Pesce, joins the podcast this week to talk Virtual Reality. We discuss:
- Mark’s career to date and how he became involved very early on with Virtual Reality
- What is Virtual Reality – the features and functionality and at a high level how the technology works
- Mark’s very early involvement in this technology in the early 1990s
- Why the technology has taken some time to hit mainstream consciousness and why there has been a sharp uptick in focus in 2016
- Why did Google Glass fail? Was this distinct technology from VR?
- Whether we have the affordable hardware/infrastructure and (necessarily useful) applications for VR to grow in a scalable way
- Some of the primary use cases for consumer and business use of VR technologies
- Gaming and VR
- Gary Vaynerchuk recently discussing VR and the example of standing in front of the Eiffel Tower with your brain feeling with 98.4% certainty the experience is real
- VR and education/training (e.g. Harvard MBA from anywhere in world etc
- How marketers should be thinking (long term) about VR
- Facebook’s purchase of Oculus Rift in March 2014.
- Facebook’s long term strategy is for this space
- How 360 degree video relates to VR technology
- The possible connection between VR and IOT technology
- What does this mean for social media in the future?
- The other technologies which excite Mark at present in fintech
A great chat about a fascinating technology which could materially change the technology landscape. Mark is a global thought leader in this area so absolutely fantastic to have him on the show – well worth a listen.
Mark’s favourite business book is Increasing Returns and Path Dependence in the Economy by Brian Arthur