Former CMO of ANZ Bank in Australia Louise Eyres joins the podcast this week to discuss the CMO role in 2017. We discuss:
- Louise’s career to date.
- Her experience in sales and marketing at BHP.
- Her branding work at BHP.
- Key lessons for B2B marketers out of Louise’s experience at BHP.
- Transitioning to financial services, and key lessons from her time at ANZ.
- Adapting marketing skills to different industries.
- The differences (and similarities) between B2B and B2C marketing.
- The impact of social and digital on ANZ and Louise’s role in marketing.
- The role of the CMO today and how this had changed.
- The span of control of the CMO – at one extreme perceived to be focused on advertising, at the other extreme including customer service, customer experience, big data, marketing technology.
- Adapting marketing strategy in the face of disruption – the need to be more agile.
- Customer experience and the digital touch points of the business.
- The importance of maintaining media neutrality in marketing execution.
- Long-term brand building versus short-term calls to action/sales.
- Louise’s exciting new role in sports administration.
Great insight from a senior marketer who has operated in senior marketing roles within 2 of the largest enterprises in Australia. Lots of value here, well worth a listen.
The book Louise recommends is Lean In by Sheryl Sandberg.