Four-time author and marketing thought leader Joseph Jaffe returns to the podcast this week to talk media landscape. We discuss:
- Joseph’s career to date and the 4 books he has written.
- The media landscape today and the massive disruption that is driven by the internet.
- The phenomenal growth of Netflix and the key drivers behind this.
- How important the ‘ad-free’ aspect has been in driving Netflix’s growth.
- The lack of innovation in the advertising sector.
- CBS’s recent strategy to develop a paid offering, putting Star Trek behind a paywall.
- Having a premium piece of content – such as House of Cards or Game of Thrones – and building a platform around this.
- Ad-supported v subscription media business models.
- Disney’s decision to bypass Netflix and go directly to customers.
- The consumer experience in purchasing multiple TV shows from many different apps/sources.
- The media value chain – the value of content vs distribution.
- Apple and Facebook moving into content development.
- A ‘new media’ players such as Amazon, Apple or Facebook purchasing media rights for a major sporting code.
- The future of ad-supported media models.
- CBS purchasing Channel Ten in Australia.
Another fascinating discussion with one of the premier thought leaders in the marketing space – well worth a listen!
Joseph’s website is here.