Marketing thought leader and author Joseph Jaffe joins the podcast to talk the ethics of marketing.
- What is ethical marketing and ethical advertising
- When does “mere puffery” in advertising become deceptive and misleading?
- Can persuasion ever be unethical?
- What is influence & what is an influencer
- The difference between popularity and influence
- Whether social media vanity metrics still drive our definition of influence
- Using a product endorsement from a celebrity (rented/borrowed influence)
- Is it ok to pay people to say or do positive things for our brand and whether this detracts from trust
- Re influencers, distinguishing between customers who are passionate, professional bloggers, traditional media and celebrities
- Scott Monty examples at Ford where influencers were engaged prior to a car launch
- The importance of disclosure when using influencer marketing strategies
Joseph’s books take many of the ethical issues associated with marketing and influencer marketing head on – as one of the industry’s brightest minds, it’s well worth a listen.
Joseph is founder and CEO of Evolution.
Details of Joseph’s 4 excellent books are here.
My first podcast conversation with Joseph on his books Flip the Funnel and Zero Paid Media is here.