Author, speaker and thought leader Joseph Jaffe joins the podcast this week to talk innovation. We discuss:
- Joseph’s career to date and how he came to his current role
- Brands and innovation – we know about the intersection of brands and media – what led Joseph to the intersection of brands and innovation
- Whether brand and marketing teams the logical home for innovation and “disruption hubs” within a business
- The importance of HR and culture in the innovation equation
- When Joseph talks to marketers about innovation – whether they focus more on different types of ad or creative or channel rather than buying whole businesses
- If Blockbuster had bought Netflix or Marriot had bought Air BNB what would have happened – whether the large enterprise culture would have crushed the innovation/culture in these start-ups
- Whether Joseph is getting “disruption/innovation” fatigue as these phrases are becoming overused as well as platitudes like “disrupt yourself or someone else will”
- Does marketing need to disrupt itself?
- Facebook buying Insta and WhatsApp and trying to buy Snapchat – examples of Joseph’s framework of brands and start ups
- Snapchat becoming a camera company – whether Snapchat is about to pivot to becoming a retail brand
- Twitter’s approach to innovation and start ups – the Vine and Periscope case studies
A fascinating discussion with a genuine thought leader. Well worth a listen!
My previous podcasts with Joseph on customer retention and Influencer Marketing.