Jonathan Crossfield joins the podcast to talk about the art of story telling and why this is such an important skill set for a marketer today. We discuss:
- What is storytelling and why is it so important to marketers?
- Why story telling is about more than just pure content for brands
- What is content marketing?
- Content marketing strategy
- How broad brands should go in their content marketing focus
- Why should an enterprise invest in content marketing? What are some of the typical ‘use cases’?
- We hear a lot about Kraft, Lego, Marriot, Red Bull and their media offerings – examples of companies in Australia executing particularly well on a content marketing strategy
- The differences between brand journalism, PR and content marketing
- Are journalists always independent and do they always present both sides of the story?
- How does persuasion in effective marketing differ from manipulation? Where is the line in the sand?
- The ethics of Native Advertising and how big it is in the Australian market
- “Is the blog dead?” Jonathan’s view on the current debate between owned media (driving traffic to own blog) and distributing content on social media where audiences are larger (LinkedIn, Medium etc)
The business book Jonathan recommends is Creativity Inc by Ed Catmull