CEO of Digital Content Next Jason Kint talks digital media and the Facebook/Google duopoly on this week’s podcast. We discuss:
- Jason’s career to date
- The role of Jason’s business Digital Content Next
- The digital advertising landscape today
- The effectiveness of banner ads
- The focus from brands on call to action short term marketing rather than brand building in digital advertising execution
- The growth in ad blockers
- The duopoly dominance of Facebook and Google in digital advertising
- The recent advertiser ban from major brands on Google/YouTube
- The risks in programmatic and not knowing where your ads are being published
- JP Morgan Chase’s recent experience in decreasing distribution of their ads from 400,000 websites to 5,000 websites
- Facebook and privacy
- Facebook and fake news
- Whether Facebook is a media company
- The current limitations of machine learning/AI in managing ad distribution
- Potential catalysts for a change to the dominance of Facebook and Google.
- Future commercial plans for trusted digital content brands
An insightful conversation with an extremely knowledgeable expert in this area. Very much worth a listen.
Jason can be found on Twitter here and the Digital Content Next website is here.
My previous podcast with Bob Garfield on the future of journalism and Matt Ingram on Facebook and fake news.
My recent blog post on Brand Safety.