Founder of social listening market leader Brandwatch, Giles Palmer joins the podcast this week. We discuss
- Giles career to date and how he came to form Brandwatch
- How an early government search project morphed into what Brandwatch became today
- The evolution of Brandwatch – whether social media was always the focus
- Primary use cases for the Brandwatch product
- The engineering challenge in managing the mass of unstructured data which Brandwatch hosts
- The social web has clearly gone more visual (Insta, Pinterest) in recent years and now video is becoming more important (YouTube, Facebook/Twitter native, Persicopeetc) plus audio (podcasts etc). We discuss the challenges image/video/audio vs text provide for Brandwatch
- In 2015 Brandwatch launched the Signals product, moving the platform towards predictive analytics – Giles explains what Signals does and whether machine learning/AI is the way things are heading in this space
- A lot of money has entered the social media software space in recent years and some distinct bets are being made – at a high level, best of breed verticals (e.g. Brandwatch,
- Conversocial, Simply Measured) vs end to end platforms (Sprinklr, Tracx) – how Giles assesses this dynamic and difference in approach
- The world of the API and playing nicely with software partners
- Where to next for Brandwatch
A very interesting discussion with a key thought leader in this space. Please check it out!
The most impactful book Ben has ever read is Who Owns the Future.
You can find the Brandwatch website here and their blog here.
My previous podcasts with CMO Will McInnes and Head of Research Rebecca Carson.