In the last episode of 2017, Disruptor’s Handbook founder, Gavin Heaton, and Managing Director of We Are Social, Suzie Shaw, join the podcast for a review of 2017 and give their predictions for 2018. We discuss:
- Facebook: was 2017 the 800-pound gorilla’s peak or will 2018 see it grow stronger?
- Russiagate: the fallout from the Russian influence over the 2016 US election and future direction for Facebook in restoring consumer trust.
- The need for Facebook to improve brand safety.
- Facebook-Google Duopoly predictions: acquisition and consolidation for channels and media brands.
- Subscription vs advertising: how brands will innovate monetization for 2018
- Snapchat in review: how Instagram outmanoeuvred Snapchat through user experience and imitation.
- Creator importance: Snapchat taking the lead in adapting their platform as a better place for creators.
- The maturity of the platform market and what this means for new platforms trying to enter.
- Failing to read markets and drinking your own Kool-Aid: how Snapchat got Spectacles wrong and how collaborations are the answer for new innovations.
- Short-term vs long-term marketing: why digital and marketing has become focused on short-term gains.
- Digital advertising transparency and Google: why brands are now more vocal on where they want their ads to appear.
- Podcasting as part of the marketing mix.
- How podcasts can humanize brands.
- Challenges for podcasts and audiences going forward in 2018 and beyond.
- Final thoughts and key trends for 2018.
Fantastic discussion and insights from the year that was and will be, from some of the leading minds in the digital and social space. Well worth a listen, as always!
There were some minor audio issues from 52 mins on but hopefully, this doesn’t spoil the experience – known as “audio drift” from 3 people on the same call. Apologies!
For more info on We Are Social, visit the website here.