The UK’s first ever Dr of social media, Dr Jillian Ney joins the podcast this week to talk social insights and digital behavioural science. We discuss:
- Jillian’s career to date.
- How she became of Dr of Social Media.
- The academic sectors’ response to Jillian’s area of speciality back in 2007.
- How Jillian was once asked if she really was an academic.
- The differences between social listening and analytics and digital behavioural science.
- The breadth of platforms Jillian analyses in her work.
- The work Jillian is currently performing in antenatal classes.
- Using social analytics as a predictive tool not just for analysis after the fact.
- Unmet needs and consumer pain points – and how we leave clues on social media as to what these are.
- Jillian’s model “Consumer Behaviour Environments”.
- Where Uber’s innovation came from.
- The difference between what people say and how they act.
- Why Jillian selected “Mattress in a Box” as her example product for her pending e-book.
- Why consumers buy mattresses and other electrical products.
- “Brain-based communication” – and how to move people along their purchase journey.
- The challenge presented when marketing ad eCommerce operates in separate silos.
- The complexity of selling products with multiple attributes and why it’s important to focus on the emotional drivers that matter.
- How traditional market research can dovetail with social analytics.
- Jillian’s current work on developing a membership community for social analytics and a social analytics training academy.
- Jillian’s fascinating answer re her favourite social network.
Some fascinating insights from a true subject matter expert and leading academic thinker in social media. Absolutely worth a listen!
Jillian’s website Dr Jillian Ney.
Jillian’s 9 step method for social analytics.
Webinar on growth via eCommerce.