Marketing and PR thought leader David Meerman Scott joins the podcast this week to discuss his books and philosophies.
- David’s back story and how losing his job in 2002 changed his career
- David’s best-selling book “The New Rules of Marketing and PR” and why he wrote the first edition in 2007
- Changes in the current 5th edition and how the book has changed
- What are the new rules of marketing and PR
- The role of content in marketing and building trust
- How the current US election process is showing interesting differences in strategies re paid media and approach to new digital platforms
- Case studies in the current book, examples of businesses who have embraced the new rules
- David’s views on social media strategy and what types of content to share
- David’s concept of newsjacking – what is it and how can brands benefit from this concept
- When to jump into newsjacking and when to let stories pass
- How Newsjacking differs from ‘real time marketing’ (e.g. Oreo tweet)
David blogs at http://www.webinknow.com/
His blog article on the marketing strategies of different US presidential candidates is here.
Resources on newsjacking are here.
David’s favourite business book is Purple Cow by Seth Godin.