Co-author of Blockchain Revolution, Alex Tapscott joins the podcast this week to talk Blockchain. We discuss:
- Alex’s career to date and how he developed an interest in Blockchain
- How he ended up writing a book on Blockchain with his father Don Tapscott
- What is Blockchain technology and why it is something we need to understand
- How a Blockchain ledger works and why it is more secure than the internet as we currently know it
- The serious limitations of the Internet for business and economic activity despite the many positive things it has fostered
- Internet of value vs internet of information
- In a Blockchain where the data and the technology is actually being hosted
- Studies show trust in governments and businesses to be at such a low level – why is this so? Is lack of trust in government/enterprises the core driver for the overall “use case” for Blockchain?
- The important difference between the sharing economy (AirBNB, Uber etc) which everyone refers to and the ‘aggregation economy’
- A true sharing economy powered by Blockchain and what this looks like
- Peer to peer commerce and what this means for the future of companies and ‘networks’
- At a high level how Bitcoin works and where to next for Bitcoin
- The different functions of Bitcoin – both as a store of value and a crypto currency
- Implications of Blockchain technology for the banking sector and how banks are currently reacting
- As an open source project with no central authority, will the banks try to control the IP to prevent a loss in equity value
- Beyond currency and financial services, other applications that can use Blockchain technology
- The challenge of scaling an open source project like Blockchain and what the governance framework looks like
- Social media is ultimately a medium of connection, the world of the individual. Can Blockchain technology severely disrupt social media as we know it today?
- In the future will we connect and share information without an intermediary like Facebook?
- The potential benefits of Blockchain’s growth for society as a whole and why technology alone is not the solution
- How long will this bold vision take to pan out?
The most influential business book Alex has read is the Digital Economy by Don Tapscott.